Questions? Call us at 310-SIGN (7446)

What is a Construction Ahead Sign?

Posted by in Traffic Knowledge on February 27, 2015 . 0 Comments.

The "construction ahead sign" is probably the most recognized and most frequently used traffic sign. It's also arguably the most important sign when it comes to setting up a work zone on any road or a major highway. Construction ahead signs are used in nearly every application when it comes to work being executed on, or near a roadway. 

Construction ahead is used as the very first sign of your work zone and it indicates the begining of the zone. It's only 1 of several construction signs needed to setup a work zone properly and it should be placed well in advance of where the actual work is taking place. 

Although these signs are manufactured in Alberta this design pattern is commonly used by other provinces across Canada and may have a different model number depending on what province your working in. For example; although a Construction Ahead sign is best known as a WD-101 in both the Alberta Transportation Sign Library and Saskatchewan Highways Guide, it is known as C-018-1A in the British Columbia Provincial Sign Program. They are the same sign. Many provinces have different regulations surrounding the minimum level (grade) of retro-reflectivity required, from HIP - High Intensity Prismatic (lower) to Diamond Grade Type XI (highest). Because these signs are manufactuered to meet Alberta material specs (Type XI Sheeting) they meet the highest retroreflective materials available on the market so you can be sure they will meet your job standards anywhere in Canada or USA. Which brings me to a great point! Make sure your traffic signs are manufactured by a sign company that actually understands and follows the regulations. People's lives are on the line. If you don't know if your existing sign shop meets current specs ask them. Staying on top of current regulations and updates is a full time job so you should trust a company that specializing in safety signage.


What is the current posted speed limit and does it need to be decreased for the type of work being done?
You might need to decrease the speed from 80km/h to 50km/h on a secondary highway, or maybe the posted speed is already 50km/h and that is acceptable for the type of operations being executed. Here is a list of speed limit signs and reduce speed ahead signs.

What are some of the physical road conditions to indicate within the work zone?
Consider signage for things like loose gravelsharp shouldersfresh oilwet paintno center linegrooved pavementuneven paymentsteel plates orobstructions? The more information you provide to drivers, the safer your work zone will be and it gives drivers a chance to pay attention accordingly. The last thing you need is an upset driver because his brand new car is covered with black tar because of fresh oil on the road and there wasn't a sign posted anywhere. If it was your own vehicle you'd want the same common courtesy so you could bring your speed to a crawling pace and prevent the spread of oil.

These signs can be mounted to a sign post, an A-Frame Sign Stand or a wind stand with a flexible spring-loaded base. Signs and stands are also available for rent as well.

If you have any questions about what signs you need for your workzone you can refer to your provincial standards, or you can certainly give us a call and we will help guide your purchase or rental for traffic controls.

Related Products:


Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

* Name:
* E-mail: (Not Published)
   Website: (Site url with http://)
* Comment: